United Reformed Church
Safeguarding Young People and Children
This statement was agreed at the church meeting held on 15th June 2011. It supersedes all previous policy statements. It will be read annually at the June church meeting where progress in carrying it out will be monitored.
· As members of Crawley URC we understand that children and young people are precious, made in God’s image, and to be cherished within the community. Their wholeness, safe development and wellbeing are a priority.
· We recognise that our work with children and young people is the responsibility of the whole church with particular oversight by the Elders’ Meeting.
· It is the responsibility of each one of us to prevent the physical, sexual and emotional abuse of children and young people, and to report any abuse discovered or suspected to one of the church Safeguarding link persons, Revd. Bridget Banks or Mrs Sue Fenwick.
· We undertake to exercise proper care in the selection and appointment of those working with children and young people, whether paid or volunteer.
· Crawley URC is committed to supporting, resourcing and training those who work with children and young people, and to providing supervision.
· Each worker with children and young people must know the good practice recommendations, and undertake to observe them. Each shall be given a copy of the procedures and good practice guidelines agreed by Crawley URC.
· Crawley URC is committed to following the Home Office code of practice Safe from Harm and adopts the guidelines and procedures published by the United Reformed Church in its publication Good Practice: Safeguarding Children and Young People in the Church (4th edition - 2015)
· A copy of the URC guidelines: Good Practice - Safeguarding Children & Young People in the Church (4th edition) is available in the church office.
· Crawley URC will ensure that all groups working with children or young people meeting on its premises either have their own Safeguarding Policy in place or are following the policy provided by Crawley URC.
· Crawley URC will work with statutory child care authorities when the need arises.